2013 is fast approaching. That means one year of vegan awesomeness for your girl LC. (I hope.) I’ve been doing loads of research to prepare me for this quest and I’ve had to confront some hard questions along the way. Like, how am I going to get my savory breakfast fix without my beloved eggs? Well, friends… I think tofu scramble is the answer.
I found the recipe on Vegan Yack Attack. This blog is actually new to me, but after looking around I was easily swayed to add this to my ever-growing vegan blog roll. Another tofu scramble recipe I liked came from Post Punk Kitchen. I haven’t made this dish yet, but I will be sure to make a follow-up post when I do.
In the meantime, if any of you have a favorite savory vegan breakfast recipe I am all ears.
Recipe type: Entree, Breakfast
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 30 mins
- ½ tsp. Coconut Oil
- ⅓ Cup Orange Bell Pepper, Seeded and Diced
- ½ Cup Packed Kale, Rib-less and chopped
- ¼ Cup Green Onions, Diced
- 1-14 oz. Block Extra-Firm Tofu, Pressed for 10-15 mins.
- ½ Cup Tomato, Diced
- 1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. Nutritional Yeast
- ¼ tsp. Onion Powder
- ¼ tsp. Garlic Powder
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- ⅛ tsp. Black Pepper
- A pinch of Dulse Seaweed Flakes
- ¼ Cup Avocado, Diced
- Optional: ¼ tsp. Turmeric for Color
- Warm a large pan over medium heat, once hot, melt the coconut oil in the pan.
- Add the bell pepper, kale, and green onions to the pan and saute until the kale turns a bright color and very slightly wilted. This will take roughly 3 minutes.
- Next, crumble the block of tofu over the pan into (approx.) ½” chunks, folding it into the vegetables.
- Stir the tomatoes, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder into the pan and let simmer over low-medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the dulse flakes and diced avocado to the scramble, along with the turmeric if you use it, and stir it in long enough to heat the avocado.
- Serve the scramble warm with some extra green onions on top, or fill a toasted tortilla with it and have a breakfast burrito!
Vitamin A: 85% Vitamin C: 109% Calcium: 28% Iron: 36%
Calories: 305 Fat: 16.5 Saturated fat: 4.2 Carbohydrates: 12.4 Sugar: 2.8Fiber: 6.2 Protein: 24.6